Monday 7 February 2011

Clues as to the skeletal structure of the locals

Popped up at the gym on Saturday, buoyed up by the fact that I weighed myself and was delighted to find that I'd lost 2.5 lbs.  Whoopee, only another 4.5 stone to go!

Did my usual 30 minutes on the exercise bike - managed to do 11 km on effort level 2, which I was pleased with.  My stamina is building up now, or so it feels.  I know I'm not as far on as I would like, but everyone's got to start somewhere, right?

Got off the bike and wandered over to the arm bike and sat on it, to find that I was a lot further down than I normally am - put it this way, I nearly banged my chin on the crossbars (not good, and it's never happened before.  No, I wasn't p****d either).  I also couldn't reach enough to do a full rotation with the arm pedals, also not good for my particular purpose.  Taking all these factors into account, I decided that someone else had been on the bike before me (no sh*t, Sherlock, I hear you cry), and had altered all the settings.  I tried to adjust the seat, failed miserably.  I then tried to adjust the arm pedals, but my underdeveloped girlie muscles gave up on me, and in the end, I decided that it wasn't worth my while to carry on using this particular machine until I had completed a pretty intensive weight lifting course, which, given that I haven't enrolled on one, would ultimately prove fruitless to my immediate circumstances.

Taking all things into account, I decided to swap machines, so I went onto the other arm bike, which at first glance, seemed to suit my immediate requirements - seat at optimum height, arm pedals set at the right distance.  I sat down and programmed the settings, and began.  However, being the bright bunny that I pride myself on being, I noticed that one arm seemed to be stretching more than the other.  Hmm, I thought - this ain't right.  Let's problem-solve.

Upon checking the arm pedal settings, it became obvious that each arm had been set to a different length.  The left had been set to distance 3, whilst the right one had been set to distance 1 (my normal setting).  How bizarre, but, given that I live where I live, perhaps not entirely unexpected.  I tell you, the things I see round the market town just doesn't surprise me anymore.  I'd love to tell you the name of the place, but it's like Dragnet - names have been changed to protect the guilty.  The amount of times I've seen people staggering around with long arms, short legs and no brain is absolutely legendary.  It puts Twycross Zoo to shame some days.  Amateurs.

Problems rectified, I carried on with my exercise, and decided to push myself further this time, and managed to achieve 7km with a combination of effort levels 1 and 2.  My bingo wings haven't actually diminished, but perhaps one day they will.  I am, however, secure in the knowledge that both of my arms are the same length, which obviously can't be said for all of the locals, can it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment